Her campaign has been puzzling to some, given her husband’s affinity for insulting his opponents on Twitter, and others ridiculed her for releasing an educational booklet that was virtually identical to one the Obama administration published.
Although she is much more private than her predecessors – spending much of her time away from the spotlight – 57 per cent of Americans say they have a favourable impression of her, according to a CNN poll released last week.
Although money was tight for many people in the small town of Sevnica, where she grew up, people who knew Melanija Knavs – as she was known then – say she was “always very fancy” and “never wore anything from the store”.
6. The US first lady was a successful model, known for her appearances in Sports Illustrated, Vanity Fair, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and GQ. She is also the only first lady to have posed nude for magazines, including a British GQ photo spread in 2000.
9. In addition to her modelling career, Trump was also a businesswoman who launched a jewellery line in 2010 and a caviar-based skincare line in 2013.
When she met Pope Francis, she held out rosary beads for him to bless.
12. Though some critics speculated that she was trying to shun her role as first lady, the Trumps have said the delay was because they wanted their son, Barron, to finish his fifth-grade studies in New York.
13. But when Melania Trump did finally move to Washington, the members of the permanent White House staff instantly adored her. It was her thoughtful, everyday interactions with them that made her stand out among other first families, former staffers have said.
10 of Brigitte Macron’s most stylish moments
14. The Trumps reportedly “spend very little to no time together”, sleep in different bedrooms and operate on separate schedules, according to some White House aides and friends.
17. Despite the White House’s best efforts, the Trumps’ marriage remains one of the greatest curiosities among the press and the public – especially as controversy grows around an alleged affair between the president and the adult film star Stormy Daniels, as well as claims of a US$130,000 hush-money payment.
Hold your horses: Macron also brings French style to China
Some speculate that her refusing to hold her husband’s hand and taking separate routes to events are telltale signs of conflict. But for the foreseeable future, it looks as if their marriage will stay private.
19. Trump stands out from her predecessors with her quiet manner and reserved personality.
Her friends have described her as someone who likes to stay at home, who often retires from events early and avoids being the centre of attention.
Want more stories like this? Sign up here. Follow STYLE on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
This article originally appeared on Business Insider.